Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Working on book 3

Book 3, CRIMSON PSYCHE, which used to be old book 2 when originally published, is due to be turned in [at least a clean draft] Dec. 31, 2012. Well, I can probably slide until after the New Year, but the time frame is generally the same.

I'm discovering that rewriting/expanding a 120,000-word book is harder than writing it to begin with. Because I changed so many things in the new book 2, this book doesn't make sense as written, so I need to stay awake while reading/editing it to make sure I catch all the things that no longer work.

I have several folks reading the chapters as I go, which is saving my butt. Their eyes are crucial because I've read the material so many times over the years that parts of it are invisible to me.

For some reason, I'm having a rough time disciplining myself to slam through the chapters for a first read. You'd think I'd be eager to turn this book in and finish up my 3-book contract. I really am. So maybe this is just the latest flare-up of my procrastination pattern.

I wrote my graduate thesis in 3 days before it was due, pulling an all-nighter before I had to take it to the instructor's office.

Maybe I like the adrenaline rush.

One thing for sure, I've lost some of the joy of writing that I had for a while and the whole process isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be. Maybe discovering the true face of publishing -- repeatedly --  pushed me over the edge and I'm still wandering around in shock. I actually had the thought today, "maybe I'll just stop," and for the first time I didn't put up an argument.

I figure, one way or another, after getting Crimson Psyche ready for publication, I'll be starting over. I just need to figure out what that means to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment