Saturday, September 8, 2012

What a mad, mad world this is



I've attended a few conferences recently. One theme that repeats is fear of publishing changes. Everyone is afraid. The more successful the author was in the old system, the greater the resistance to the in-process transformation.

A common discussion: should we let indie-pubbed authors into our group? That's a challenging question because some writers really do just upload their words without benefit of editing or critique. The consensus of the "in" groups is that we don't want those folks in our group. It's true that sometimes some of their writing is less than professional.

But the discussions never fail to set off my alarm bells.

I've discovered that authors are a clique-y bunch. Territorial.

Once there's a "we," there must be an unacceptable "them."

Since I've often been in the "them" group in my life, I'm sensitive to the differentiation.

I like the way NINC has handled this issue. It's about money -- which is what authors should be concerned with, primarily, anyway. If we can't make a living at our craft, what good is it?

I know. You write because you love it. You can't not write. I'm not like that. I write for a living. If I don't make money at it, I won't be able to do it.

Is it jealousy that causes some traditionally-pubbed authors to slam the gates on the indies?

Well, regardless. Change is guaranteed. We can be a part of the solution, or part of the problem.

Take a deep breath. It won't be so bad. Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment